I’m sure you’ve heard the parable about the man who built his house on the sand vs. the man who built his house on the rocks.
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that the house built on the stones outlasted the house that was built on sand.
Sand isn’t sturdy, it shifts with the weather, and erodes quickly. Rock on the other hand is a solid foundation that fails to waiver in even the strongest of storms.
The moral of the story? To have something sturdy (that lasts) you need a strong foundation.
The same goes for your business. To have a company that will withstand the test of time it has to have a solid foundation — we all know that. The question is “What the heck does that mean!?”
Let’s talk about it.
To build a rock-solid business foundation, you have to decide on your focus.
How to Narrow Your Focus and Build a Strong Foundation
Get curious. Here are some questions you can ask yourself to determine your focus and help you with your business foundation:
- Do I want the focus of my business to be a service or product?
- If it’s a product-based business, what’s product(s) do you offer?
- If it’s a service-based business, what services do you offer?
- Regardless of whether it’s product- or service-based, you need to identify what problems you solve? And who needs these problems solved?
- Does it excite you to serve these potential clients?
- Or, is your business founded on spreading a single idea or value? If so, what is that idea or value? And who will join you when you start a movement?
Once you have the answer to these questions, you have the first rock to building the foundation of your business.
Now, the key is growing the rest of your business around that rock. I suggest creating a budget, planning projects, and setting priorities so you can avoid shiny object syndrome.
Hi! I’m Jen! I have over 25 years of training, teaching, and executive experience in leadership, strategic project planning, and digital marketing. Today, I am the founder of Women Conquer Business, a boutique consulting firm dedicated to helping women, people of color, and the LGBTQ+ community build sustainable businesses. I’m a frequent guest speaker and trainer. Get access to my free business growth accelerator and hang out with me on my weekly women in business podcast, Women Conquer Business.